Village Gets Lucky

Lucky's Soon Poster
Lucky’s Burger & Brew will open in the Village Tuesday, September 22, occupying the former Starbuck’s space on North Decatur Road. A local chain founded in 2010, Lucky’s currently has locations in Brookhaven and Roswell, and is named in honor of the founders’ golden retriever.

It’s a fun, casual restaurant – and of course, namesake Lucky insists that it be pet-friendly as well – his canine pals are welcome on the patio and can partake of all the bowls of water they like.

According to spokesperson Ted Lescher, Lucky’s chose the Village because “it seems like a great spot with lots of nearby customers.” Lescher expects the space to hold about 50 inside and 20 on the front patio.

The menu will be the same as the other two locations. A few especially appealing items: fried pickles and Mediterranean hummus appetizers, “Health Care Reform” salad,and lots of burgers, with your choice of beef, turkey, black bean or chicken. Plus, Lucky’s uses only “the freshest produce delivered daily.”

Brew-wise, lots of local, national and international beers are available.

Hours are from 11:30 a.m. to close every day of the week.

Check out their current website: luckysburgerandbrew.com – and let’s consider ourselves lucky to have another delicious dining choice in the Village!

–By Perry Mitchell

Proposed Variances for Wine Store Withdrawn

An application to the DeKalb  Zoning Board of Appeals for variances which would have allowed a developer to convert the long vacant Chevron Station Emory Village into a wine store were withdrawn without prejudice in October at the request of the owners, Carolyn and Jimmy Pearson.

 The DeKalb County Historic Preservation Commission in July had approved a certificate of appropriateness for the proposed Sherlock’s wine store at 1574 North Decatur Road, pending additional data to be supplied by the August meeting of the commission. Safety concerns had been expressed over backing out of parking spaces onto the sidewalk and into North Decatur Road,

The applicant sought to purchase the property and renovate the existing structure. The presentation to the commission is available for review at the DeKalb County Planning Commission website http://planningdekalb.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/1574-North-Decatur-Road.pdf.

The proposal required several variances, including a variance to eliminate a landscaping buffer, a variance to allow small car ‘compact’ spaces on site, a variance to allow two parking spaces in front of the building closer than 30 feet, and a variance to reduce the amount of required parking if the owners convert the space from retail to restaurant in the future.

While the Emory Village Alliance supported the overall restoration of the historic Chevron building, the EVA Board expressed concerns about safety, parking, and landscape buffers. Read the EVA Zoning Board of Appeals Statement re 1574 N. Decatur Road 081115

Read EVA’s position on the historic preservation issues.

Gas tanks were removed in early July in preparation for the possible new business on the site.

Click here for video of the gas tank removal

Tank Removal Chevron 3

 

Dressing Up the Roundabout

amur maple 3The center of the Emory Village roundabout will get a major facelift this spring, thanks to the generosity of more than 100 neighbors to date. EVA is a 501(c)(3) organization, and all donations  are tax deductible.

EVA has been working on a landscaping plan for the center of the roundabout, with installation tentatively scheduled for this spring.  After collecting feedback from the various community, business and Emory constituencies represented on the Board, EVA has devised a landscape plan that focuses on a ‘small grove’ concept, which will include five Amur maples. These maples were selected because they grow compactly, and provide vivid color in the fall. Additional landscaping will be added around the maples.

Emory Village Alliance plans to support the cost of these trees and other Village landscaping improvements with donor contributions. Donate now or for more information, please contact David Payne, EVA chair, david.payne@emory.edu.
2015 1226 Rndbt Illustrative

Ink & Elm Closes

EVA_MORE_PHOTOS_3gbThe Village bid a fond farewell in late May to the restaurant and tavern which was known for its fine dining and hospitality. Many thanks to owner Hunter Thompson for his strong support of Village activities as a member of EVA’s board of directors.